The Oasis gathered its name from its light blue, turquiose coloring. Turqouise deposits have been found in Victoria and South Wales, in the Southeast part of Australia.
Australia as a country is both very similar and at the same time, very different than many other western countries due to its distant location and colourful history.
Fun Facts about Australia:
- Australia is the driest of any continent on earth other than Antarctica
- The Great Barrier Reef is regarded as the world's largest living organism, and is often listed as one of the Seven Wonders of the Natural World
- Australia is the only continent covered by a single country
- While mining is one of Australia's biggest industries, more land is covered by pubs than mines
- Australian Rules Football (also called Aussie Rules) was originally created for cricket players to play in their off season. It is now one of the most popular sports in the country.
- The Great Barrier Reef has its own mail box
- Sydney is Australia's largest city, but NOT its capital – Canberra is the country's capital city
- Over 25% of Australia's residents were born overseas as of 2012 – a number that is expected to increase rapidly
- Someone from Sydney is typically referred to as a Sydney-sider
- Those from Queensland are nicknamed Banana Benders